Merry Christmas, everybody.
(Track)list after the jump.
UPDATE: MP3 DOWNLOAD AFTER THE JUMP.
My Top Ten List:
1. Portishead -3- Track: Machine Gun
I know this doesn't even make the top 10 for most critics. They're all idiots. This is, hands down, the album I've played the most in 2008. The production is simply gorgeous: next level attention to detail, layering and constant surprises. I'll never stop listening to this.
2. Lil’ Wayne – The Carter III- Track: Dr. Carter
"A Milli" was the hip hop track of the year, but I couldn't resist sneaking in "Dr. Carter" because it's such a fitting description of what my day-to-day job is like. "Needs some swagger, huh? Okay, let me take my gloves off."
3. Tim Vanhamel – Welcome to the Blue House – Track: Garden of Weeds
Garden of Weeds is my favourite track of the year. Technically I've been playing this since 2007, but the album has been in constant rotation for the entire year. I hear his next project, Disco Drunkards with the Glimmer Twins will be releasing a full album later on this year.
4. MGMT –Oracular Spectacular- Track: Electric Feel
It's not the 'songs you may not know' list. It's the 'best albums' list and MGMT officially released a classic that most hipsters will be touting as their ultimate number one.
5. Jay Reatard – Singles Collection- Track: An Ugly Death
Jay Reatard: professional asshole, underground legend, pop genius. I bought this album on Amazon and my mailman nicked it. True story.
6. Deerhunter – Microcastle- Track: Nothing Ever Happened
Despite all the over-the-top hype, this album does deserve your attention. Great fuzz noise. You can find me in the front row at their next gig in Brussels.
7. Esau Mwamwaya – The Very Best - Track: Will You Be There
I'm cheating here. This isn't an album, but a mixtape. I'll do a mixtape top 5 later, I promise, as soon as I finish building my anatomatically correct snowman in the park.
8. Kap Bambino – Zero Life Night Vision – Track: New Breath
Originally released in France in 2006, re-released for the non-baguette eating masses in 2008.
9. The Raconteurs – Consolers of the lonely – Track: You Don’t Understand Me
I'm still not over the Raconteurs gig I saw three years ago. Whenever people ask me to make a mixtape of stuff that's good, this is the opening track.
10. SebastiAn - 7"- Track: Dog
A 7" is like a tiny album, right? I have made three different running mixes this year. "Dog" never falls off the playlist.
Pic: The Cobra Snake